Friday, November 2, 2007
Do you have treasures in your attic? I bet you do. I love to recycle old or odd things into things we can use in our home. I even go hunting around the neighborhood for castoff furniture and decorating items. My neighbors are now telling me when something is put on the curb. This is a little embarrassing to my grown children, but they love the new things I whip up. My latest find was a baby changing table. It was spray painted white, with decals and letters glued on it. I forgot to get a picture before starting work on it. That was not smart on my part, as some of my friends wanted to see a "before". I took out the trusty paint stripper gun and got to work. We have always used a liquid stripper before, but at a garage sale (of course) we found a used stripper gun. Boy where had that been in my past. It is the greatest thing. Works fast and is easy to use. After the paint was stripped, I found the original finish was a natural color. The baby changing pad just came out, and it had a long drawer across the top. The top was hinged in order to be used for changing baby, but you don't have to use it. I stained the whole dresser (except for the top) a dark walnut color. On the top I did a paint technique to give a granite effect. We drilled holes in the drawers for pulls I painted to match the granite color. Added two coats of a sealer, and yea! A new piece that my kids put in their living room as extra storage. That didn't embarrass them at all . It looks like an expensive piece with a granite top.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey this looks really good. Now you need to link to a video on youtube to show the actual technique. Your off to the races.
Post a Comment